Return to AD&D Central | Return to D&D Central
"Mystara has three main continents: Brun, Skothar, and Davania, and several large islands such as the Isle of Dawn, Alphatia, and Bellissaria. Nowadays, the Known World mostly covers the territories of two rival empires, Thyatis and Alphatia, and neighboring kingdoms located in the northern hemisphere, between Skothar and Brun.
The best known, most detailed region remains in a very small area of the southeastern corner of Brun. There, in a territory no more than 1,700 miles across, lie over fifteen sovereign kingdoms. Like a mosaic, they offer a wide variety of background flavors, ranging from the sun-baked dunes of Ylaruam to the gentle hills of the Five Shires. All these nations were fully developed in a collection of supplements called the Gazetteers, one of the best selling Dungeons & Dragons game products."
Bruce Heard, 1993 TSR Master Catalog
Mystara originally started as a D&D campaign setting, but got established later as an AD&D background.
The Western Countries Trail Map (TM1)
"TM1 shows the nations of the western region of the D&D game Known Worlds, from Glantri to Rockhome, and as far north as the Ethengar plains to the steamy isles of Ierendi. Discover details about their weather, trail conditions, astronomy, and much more.
All this comes in 8-miles per hex Gazetteer style, on an impressive 36" by 57", highly detailed, full-color map."
1989 ... TSR 9403 ... ISBN 0880387823
The Eastern Countries Trail Map (TM2)
Many more photos at the blog, including a full shot with me for scale
"From the northern reaches of Vestland to Thyatis, and as far east as the mighty Isle of Dawn, TM2 picks up where TM1 ended. TM2 shows the eastern D&D Game Known World and brings new facts about traveling costs, rates of exchange, universities, geopolitical intelligence, and more!
All this comes in 8-miles per hex Gazetteer style, on an impressive 36" by 57", highly detailed, full-color map."
1989 ... TSR 9404 ... ISBN 0880387831
Poor Wizard's Almanac & Book of Facts
"People and places, history past and present, armies and navies - you'll find it all in this Book of Facts. This is the first in the yearly series of almanacs providing the most comprehensive information ever published on the D&D Game worlds.
Also included is a massive collection of world events happening in the year of AC1010. Battles, skirmishes, and a host of historic events take place in the wake of the Great War of Wrath of the Immortals, enough to fill an entire game year!
Make your game world life-like as you watch the glorious return of Thyatis, and discover the amazing fate of Alphatia!
• Planetary Overview • Kings and Queens • Heroes and Villains • World History • Kingdoms and Empires • Current Events • Geography • Astrology • Armies and Navies • Populations • Economics • Currencies • Great Battles • Fairs and Festivals • Complete Calendar • Seasons and Star Signs • World Index of People and Places • And More..."
1992 ... Aaron Allston ... 240 pages + map ... TSR 9372 ... ISBN 156076385X
Poor Wizard's Almanac II & Book of Facts
"People and places, history past and present, armies and navies - you'll find it all in this Book of Facts. This is the second in the yearly series of almanacs providing the most comprehensive information ever published on the World of Mystara.
This new almanac provides a massive collection of world events for the game year AC1011. It picks up where the previous almanac ended, wrapping up major plots that started in the game year of AC1010, and starting new ones. Battles, skirmishes, and a host of historical events take place in a world in perpetual development, enough to fill an entire game year!
Behold the decline of the once mighty empire of Thyatis as the mysterious Alphatians rise again from the bowels of the Hollow World!"
1993 ... Ann Dupuis ... 240 pages + map ... TSR 9441 ... ISBN 1560766840
Poor Wizard's Almanac III & Books of Facts
"A world in one volume right in your hands! This, the third in the yearly series of almanacs on the MYSTARA campaign setting, offers you not only the most comprehensive look at the world of My star a and its complex nations and peoples, but for the first time gives you the AD&D® game statistics you need to bring the people and places to life!
All the major world events for the year AC1012 are featured in detail, picking up right where the previous almanac ended. Read of riots and famine in Thyatis, armies of dead men on the march, the shadow elves' attacks, the sighting of the greatest sea monster of all, and the now-annual Day of Dread!"
1994 ... Ann Dupuis ... 240 pages + fold-out map ... ISBN 1560769181
Joshuan's Almanac & Book of Facts
"THE KNOWN WORLD AS IT'S NEVER BEEN KNOWN BEFORE!
THIS FOURTH YEARLY EDITION OF THE ALMANAC OF MYSTARA IS DIFFERENT FROM THE PREVIOUS POOR WIZARD’S ALMANACS. THIS UPDATED VOLUME, ASSEMBLED BY NEW PUBLISHER JOSHUAN GALLIDOX, INCLUDES MORE INFORMATION USEFUL TO TRAVELERS, MORE MAPS OF WELL-KNOWN (AND SOME NOT SO WELL-KNOWN) PLACES, SPOTLIGHT ON SEGMENTS FOCUSING ON FASCINATING LOCATIONS, PLUS SPECIAL YOU ARE THERE REPORTS FROM JOSHUAN's CORRESPONDENTS. THE YEAR IN REVIEW, COVERING THE YEAR AC 1013, AND A SPECIAL SECTION OF PREDICTIONS AND PROGNOSTICATIONS ROUND OUT THE MOST ENTERTAINING AND PRACTICAL ALMANAC YET PRODUCED.
DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE TO GET THE INSIDE INFORMATION (ALONG WITH EXTENSIVE EDITORIAL COMMENTARY) ON THE KNOWN WORLD!"
1995 ... Ann Dupuis & Elizabeth Tornabene ... 240 pages + color fold-out map of the Known World ... TSR 2517 ... ISBN 0786901926
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark [BOX SET]
* 3 guidebooks totalling 224 pages
- Heroes of the Princess Ark (96 pages, 1094XXX1901)
- Designer's Manual (64 pages, 1094XXX1902)
- Explorer's Manual (64 pages, 1094XXX1903)
* 8 full-color ship recognition cards
- Oostdock Airship
- The Flying Barge of Sayr Ulan
- Light Heldannic Warbird
- Azlum Swith's Geodome Airship
- Oberack's Dragon Prow Longship
- Elven Swan Ship
- Alphatian Yacht
- Alphatian Man-of-War
* 2 25mm-scale deck plans for the Princess Ark
* 2 full-color Gazetteer-style mapsheets
- The Great Waste (1094XXX0701)
- The Serpent Peninsula (1094XXX0702)
"Developed from the original DRAGON® Magazine series, Champions of Mystara™ is a major compilation of the Princess Ark adventures, a magical flying ship that explores the World of Mystara. Discover the heroes of this legendary skyship, their deadly foes, and their wondrous ships. Packed with background information and adventure ideas, this set allows DMs and players to run a long-lasting, globe-trotting campaign based on a unique flying ship.
Champions of Mystara goes an extra step and also provides experienced players with new rules on magical flying ship construction, operation, and movement! As a final gift, this set offers a Gazetteer developing the region west of the Known World, from the burning lands of Sind to the mysterious jungles of the Serpent Peninsula. A make-your-own world guide finally helps DMs expand the horizons of their favorite campaign world."
1993 ... Ann Dupuis & Bruce Heard ... TSR 1094 ... ISBN 1560766158
Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure [BOX SET]
* Explorer's Guide (128 pages)
* Adventure Book (32 page)
* interactive audio CD
* 2 poster maps
* 12 parchment maps, illustrations, and player props
* 8 hero cards
"If you are keen on having a frontier kingdom that has a lot of unexplored territory, it can work very well. Additionally, the adjacent realms have large cities so you can always do city and diplomatic missions there.
Jeff Grubb, the main designer, is usually pretty good with his works and he did a great job on this one. Here are some of the highlights:
(1) Great maps of the realms and greater realms; (2)family tree of the royal line with so so pictures; (3) tons of info on the topography; (4) unique and tantalizing History of the two racial groups in this game who are based on Historical slavs and Latins; (5) info. on the beast men; (6) audio CD with short adventure & 2 more short adventures included; (7) overall review of the political scenario; (8) wonderful historical review; great overview of some legends known only to the DM; (9) info on class level crimes and fines or punishment; (10) slavic family details; some who scheme against the new king; (11) a listing of the big names in back with pictures for some -- includes their powers and abilities, as well as their politics, motivations and popular quotes; (12) a summary of the nearby countries and what is generally known of them; (13) details of major settlements with laws covered -- ruler and population.
Overall, a great box set for those who want more help and History with their campaign." ...Amazon review by S.J.E. McNamara
1994 ... Jeff Grubb & Aaron Allston & Thomas M. Reid ... TSR 2500 ... ISBN 1560768533
Glantri: Kingdom of Magic [BOX SET]
"There's something unique about a land where wizards rule. Marvels abound. Glamour tantalizes. Dangers await, cloaked in illusion. Whether a hero chooses to wield magic or steel, conjuring up adventure becomes as easy as a walk through the rolling hills of Nouvelle Averoigne - or one of the other dozen principalities that make up this remarkable land. And when the world's most powerful wizards are also its craftiest princes, nothing is ever quite as it seems!
Cast the magic of Glantri over your games! Inside this box you'll find:
* An audio CD role-playing aid with realistic sound effects and character voices for your game sessions
* The Test of Darkness, a 32-page adventure that takes heroes from the fabulous Great School of Magic to unknown perils...
* The 128-page Grimoire, your visitor's guide to this sorcerous land, featuring beautiful color art plus all-new wizard kits and spells
* Full-color poster-sized maps of the realm and its capital, Glantri City
* 10 player handouts, including adventure maps, illustrations, and props
* 6 sheets of additional mini-adventures for the Dungeon Master
* 8 full-color hero cards
A trip to Glantri opens doors to works of wonder like the enchanting canals of the capital city, the Seven Secret Crafts of Magic, a mysterious force known as the Radiance, and lands where werewolves can be one's neighbors - and rulers!"
1995 ... Monte Cook & Bruce Heard ... TSR 2511 ... ISBN 0786901209
Hail the Heroes [BOX SET]
"Long ago, a great king fell in battle and became an immortal hero. The king's devoted followers built a temple to house his magical shield. Time and dust buried the temple, and the relic was forgotten - until now.
Can you win a thrilling race against rival factions to locate the temple? Can you survive the journey through its treacherous halls to gain the shield? Mystara's secret history will be revealed to those who succeed!
* Audio CD in jewel case
* Full-color poster-size map
* 32-page Adventure Book
* 4 parchment player props
1994 ... Tim Beach ... TSR 2502 ... ISBN 1560769106
Night of the Vampire [BOX SET]
"You are cordially invited to a masquerade celebrating the engagement of Lady Laina Vandevic to Lord Iajo Moubotka. Lord Gustav Vandevic welcomes you to his manor for an evening's entertainment. The servants are delighted to make your acquaintance - but watch out for the other guests! Intrigues within intrigues are afoot in Vandevicsny Manor. When a celebration becomes a night of terror, only the most cunning heroes will survive!
* Audio CD in jewel case
* Full-color poster-size map of the manor
* 32-page Adventure Book
* 4 parchment sheets with clues and missives
1994 ... L. Richard Baker III ... TSR 2509 ... ISBN 0786900431
Mark of Amber [BOX SET]
This set is something of a sequel to the classic D&D module X2: Castle Amber, but more slanted towards a murder mystery.
"Etienne d'Ambreville, the most powerful wizard in all Glantri, is missing and presumed dead. There are some who would like to keep it that way. Only by entering the dreams of a dying Immortal can player characters discover the truth. Meanwhile, a sinister killer stalks the d'Ambreville family murdering them one by one. Can the heroes identify the killer and solve the mystery before it's too late? A sequel to the popular adventure Castle Amber (Chateau d'Amberville), this story is set thirty years after the original adventure.
Mark of Amber is an interactive audio CD adventure with digitally recorded sound tracks. The compact disc features sounds your heroes would actually hear as they meet and interact with the d'Ambrevilles, and it includes three instrumental themes as well.
* Audio CD in jewel case
* Poster-size player's map of the chateau
* 64-page Adventure Book
* 8 parchment sheets for players and DM"
1995 ... Aaron Allston & Jeff Grubb & John d. Rateliff ... TSR 2513 ... ISBN 0786901403
Red Steel Campaign Expansion [BOX SET]
"Red Steel. An extraordinary metal lighter than common steel, and more precious than gold. The object of quests and the cause of war. Only one place holds this treasure: The Savage Coast. This grand frontier is also home to the Red Curse, an ancient bane that hideously deforms some victims, while mysteriously granting powers to others. Here, player characters can acquire wondrous abilities, even as they seek to garner red steel, the key to power and fame"
Inside this box:
* Campaign Book, 128 pages.
1994 ... Tim Beach & Lester Smith ... TSR 2504 ... ISBN 1560768959
Savage Baronies [BOX SET]
"The Savage Baronies are home to all these and more! This accessory for the RED STEEL campaign holds a 64-page sourcebook that covers each of the nine Savage Baronies in detail, including the rulers of the lands, the attitudes of their people, and the effects of the Red Curse on those people.
Also included is a 32-page adventure, set in the Savage Baronies and the surrounding lands. The goblinoids of the Yazak Steppes are building another horde! Invasion is imminent, and it's up to the player characters to stop it! Included with the adventure are handouts and pregenerated characters that can be used as PCs or NPCs.
Savage Baronies also contains an audio CD with background music and sound effects to enhance the setting's mood of danger and adventure. The CD is not an audio adventure, but a gaming aid usable in any AD&D game adventure!
In addition, a full-color poster map shows an overview of the Savage Coast"
1995 ... Tim Beach ... TSR 9500 ... ISBN 0786901233
Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix
"Rare dragons, wondrous giants, bizarre humanoids . . . For years such creatures have filled classic D&D® campaigns set in the world of Mystara, along with the exotic hivebrood, rakasta, thoul, and many more. Now, for the first time ever, more than 100 of Mystara's unique and most popular creatures have been developed and defined in AD&D® game terms! This must-have volume will delight and horrify players of the new AD&D MYSTARA campaign as well as any fan of the all-time favorites within."
1994 ... John Nephew & John Terra & Skip Williams & Teeuwynn Woodruff ... 128 pages ... TSR 2501 ... ISBN 1560768754
Player's Survival Kit
Herein lies a treasure trove of game props and playing aids no bold adventurer can afford to be without! Whether you're trying to choose the perfect name for your first character, designing a shield for your favorite fighter, or just trying to remember who's carrying the magical broad sword, the Player's Survival Kit has what you need.
* a 16-page full-color Character Book that includes a "Dictionary of Names" (with more than a thousand names to choose from) and "Heraldry Made Easy" (simple instructions to create your own heraldic designs)
* a 16-page full-color Adventurer's Log to keep track of monsters slain, treasures gained, and mysteries yet to be solved
* 24 handouts, including spell lists for specialty wizards, a complete system for rolling up a character's family, letters of credit, diplomas, an advertisement for henchmen, and the character's last will & testament (don't go adventuring without it!)
* A deck of 54 "Fame & Fortune" cards designed to help player characters get out of sticky situations.
1995 ... John D. Rateliff ... TSR 2510 ... ISBN 0786900997
Dungeon Master Survival Kit
* Two dozen loose sheets covered with a wide array of forms, charts, and handouts designed to make the DM's job easier and his games more exciting.
* A special deck of cards that introduces over 20 new magical items to the MYSTARA campaign. Plus, DM's will find a copy of the Deck of Spheres, a new artifact that may well be the most powerful magical item in the Known World.
* A 16-page booklet of DM's information that includes information about the languages of Mystara and tips on making better, more exciting maps.
* A full-color, 16-page Campaign Log that allows the DM to keep track of the highlights of his campaign.
1995 ... Steven Schend ... TSR 2512 ... ISBN 0786901101
Wizards of the Coast owns (and holds trademark to) the AD&D game and Mystara in all forms.
| CORE RULES | Al-Qadim | Birthright | Dark Sun | Dragonlance | Forgotten Realms | Greyhawk | Kara-Tur | Lankhmar | Monstrous Arcana | Mystara | Planescape | Ravenloft | Spelljammer | Non-TSR AD&D | AD&D - Spanish/Español |
| 2300 AD | 7th Sea | AD&D | Aftermath! | Albedo | Aliens | Arduin | Alternity | Amazing Engine | Amber Diceless | Ars Magica | Atlantis | Babylon 5 | Battletech | Boardgames / Wargames - Other | Boot Hill | Buck Rogers | Bushido | Call of Cthulhu | Castle Falkenstein | Chill | Chivalry & Sorcery | Conan | Cyberpunk | Cyborg Commando | Dark Conspiracy | DC Heroes | Deadlands | Doctor Who | DragonQuest | Dream Park | Dune | Dungeons & Dragons | Dying Earth | Earthdawn | Elfquest | Elric / Stormbringer | Everway | The Fantasy Trip | Foreign Language Roleplaying Games | Game of Thrones | Gamma World | GangBusters | Gear Krieg | Ghostbusters | GURPS | Harn | High Fantasy | Indiana Jones | James Bond | Jorune | Judge Dredd | Justifiers | Living Steel | Lords of Creation | Man, Myth & Magic | Marvel Super Heroes | Middle Earth Role Playing | Midkemia | Military Roleplaying Stockpile | Millennium's End | Miscellanea | Morrow Project | Mythus - Dangerous Journeys | Nightlife | Pendragon | Phoenix Command | Powers & Perils | Red Sonja | Renegade Legion | Riddle of Steel | Ringworld | Robotech | Rolemaster | Runequest | Shadowrun | Shatterzone | Sovereign Stone | Space 1889 | Space Master | Space Opera - Other Suns | Star Ace | Star Frontiers | Star Trek | Star Wars | Super Hero RPGs | Talislanta | Talisman | Tekumel | Terminator 2 | Thieves' World | Timemaster | Top Secret | Traveller | Tribe 8 | Tunnels & Trolls | Twilight: 2000 | Villains & Vigilantes | Warhammer | Whispering Vault | Willow | Witchcraft | Ysgarth | CAMPAIGN BUILDING | RPG MAGAZINES | Avalanche Press | Avalon Hill | Bard | Chaosium | Columbia Games | Dream Pod 9 | Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU) | FASA | Flying Buffalo | Game Designers Workshop (GDW) | Gamelords | Gamescience | Games Workshop | Judges Guild | Leading Edge Games | Mayfair Games | Metagaming | Pacesetter | Palladium | SPI | Steve Jackson Games | Tri Tac | TSR | Victory Games | West End Games | White Wolf | Wizards of the Coast | Yaquinto Publications |
| Return Home | What's New | Contact WaynesBooks.com |